"Hey, I can do that!"

Friday, September 11, 2009

Engagement Cake: In Progress

On Tuesday night I made a half-batch of ivory marshmallow fondant.  On Wednesday I made a full batch of brown marshmallow fondant.  Coloring that took a whole 1 oz. canister of brown and about half a teaspoon of black.  The Wilton website suggested adding red too, but I'll have to try that next time.  Last night I rolled out the ivory fondant to make a 7.5" square for the cake top.  I also made 12 rose buds to prepare for Saturday's lesson on fondant roses.  I coated the end of a toothpick in shortening and stuck a bud on it.  Then I stuck that in one section of an upside down egg carton so they can dry.  I also baked the first layer of Devil's food cake.  Hopefully there's an even 1.5" layer in it.  The house smelt so good afterward!

The template had to be resized to a 7" square.  After all was done in the kitchen, I printed out the template and darkened the lines with a pencil to prepare for painting tonight.  I hope to use my makeshift light box and an old-school ink pen with food coloring and gin to trace the template on to the ivory fondant square.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners