or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Friday, September 4, 2009

Pound Cake & IMBC: Successful Setbacks

Pound Cake:

On Wednesday I made the Paula Deen pound cake mentioned in a previous post. I was surprised how doughy the batter was. It was thick yet fluffy ... and way too much to fit in my 8" round pan. I bailed out one cup, but could have removed even more. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I made this. It was intended to be for the house warming cake. Pound cake is great for holding up fondant, which the house warming cake did not need. Instead of using it, I baked another box cake last night and packed the pound cake into the freezer. It can be used for my fondant class in the weeks to come. I'm also not sure what I was thinking in terms of taste. Sara Lee has me so spoiled that I was surprised when I snacked on a one of the crumbs. It tasted like ... homemade pound cake. It's not that fine, dense, but light stuff that comes in a aluminum tub that you have to peel back the corners without slitting your wrists to release the cardboard top. Mine reminded me of a heavy cornbread. It's been a very long time since either me or my husband have had a slice of pound cake from scratch. Here's a good ExpertVillage video about what finished pound cake should be like: http://www.ehow.com/video_2332596_serve-pound-cake-recipe.html

IMBC:

Again, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Last night I made a half batch of Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) from the recipe also in a previous post. This batch was intended for the house warming cake as well, but that didn't make sense. It's too light to hold up the fondant fence that I wanted to make. It's too hot outside for the icing to even survive the party. It got packed up and into the fridge for future hopes of using it in class. I'll make a batch of regular buttercream tonight.

The IMBC was very interesting. It wasn't hard to make at all, especially after watching the YouTube video of the Cake Love guy making it. "Don't underwhelm and don't overwhelm." I didn't have any of those apparent problems keeping it stabilized. The texture was fluffy yet smooth. The taste was creamy and lightly sweet (could be because I didn't use enough sugar...I didn't know how to measure 7/8 of a cup easily). It reminded me very much of Cool Whip. My husband thought it would be excellent on a light cake, perhaps a sponge or Angel food cake. I think piping it on to cupcakes would be the bomb ... maybe even injecting it into them with a bismark tip ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners