or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Friday, August 28, 2009

Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC)

I've been researching "boiled icing" and have found many buttercream versions. It's basically "Italian Meringue" with butter. I've seen several people say that boiled icing tastes like marshmallows and holds up better in warm weather, but work fast because it sets quickly. Opinions on buttercream with boiled icing say that it's ultra smooth and not grainy. I've been displeased with the Wilton buttercream recipe because my piping always looked gunky (except when I used the chocolate version). My husband complained that it tasted grainy. I hope to try out one of the boiled buttercream recipes I've found soon.

Here's an excerpt from Cooking by James Peterson:


Here's a great YouTube video of a recipe from CakeLove.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxWmiHRTMz8

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
Bring to a boil until 245 degrees.

5 egg whites
Beat low until frothy, then beat high.  Add 2 oz. sugar when egg whites form stiff peaks.

Add syrup slowly. 

Add 16 oz. butter.

I've seen a lot of posts where people have trouble keeping this kind of icing stabilized. I'm a little concerned about trying it since it's August in Texas. Apparently heat and IMBC are natural enemies.

Here's another recipe from www.make-fabulous-cakes.com:
http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/buttercream-frosting.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners