or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Sunday, March 21, 2010

Snickerdoodle Cuppies: Review

Snickerdoodle Cake (in cuppie form)


My dear husband and brother-in-law bought me The Cake Mix Doctor and Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor books for Christmas.  This is my first recipe attempt from these thoughtful presents.

Stats:
  • Snickerdoodle cuppies
  • IMBC (Cake Love's recipe), flavored with vanilla and white chocolate
The ingredients were simple, but I did have to specifically buy a pint of whole milk (we only drink 2%).


I don't have much experience with doctored cakes.  The first doctored cake recipe I made was WASC cake.  This batter really surprised me.  It was very thick, almost the tensity of whipped cream.  After everything was mixed in, it was disappointing to realize I couldn't use my new batter dispenser.  Instead, I tried my disher (similar to a small ice cream scoop).  That didn't go well either.  It took several squeezes to dump the batter out and I still had to do at least two passes for every cuppie.  What would have been a better idea was to put the batter into a decorator's bag and "pipe" them in.


Unfortunately I overbaked the cuppies.  I'm unfamiliar to the recipe and how they should look when done.  The bottoms and tops were slightly crispy and hard, but luckily not burnt.  Here they are with a 1M swirl top.


The cinnamon in the batter smelled soooo good while baking; it was heavenly.  I was so excited to taste them.


Inside it was very fluffy, balancing nicely between dry and moist.  My husband said the taste reminded him of a cinnamon muffin.  He also liked that I overbaked them because the harder portions were a nice contrast to the fluffy innards.



I'm glad I tried this recipe.  It's important that I branch out of my safe shell of "cakes I know".  Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the fluffiness, but the cinnamon was a nice change of pace.  I'm looking forward to more doctored cakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners