or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cake Spackle: Technique

Cake Spackle Technique



I finally tried "cake spackle", a concept from Toba Garrett's book The Well-decorated Cake (http://www.tobagarrett.com/meet.html).  I'm thoroughly impressed!  See for yourself!

I baked 2 6" rounds of Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake (Wilton 6"x2" pans). 



The left pan did not have baking strips, but the right did.  There's a pretty noticeable difference there.  The cake with the baking strips baked more level and to the edges.  The non-strips cake domed and cracked.




The cakes were so delicate!  The sides are all ugly and part of it stuck to the pan as I was taking them out to cool.



After leveling and stacking them, it was clear that something needed to be done.



Cake spackle looks a little gross, but it tastes fine.  It was difficult to get it to stick to the cake at first, but I got the hang of it after a while.  With a little TLC, my little cake became awesome.



Here it is iced (I wasn't done with the top at the time though):



From now on, I'm a spackle-girl!  Thanks, Toba!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I'm going to try this tomorrow!! It's my day off and I'm baking a cake to use up left over key lime filling. So I'll try this!! Wish me luck. deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks Chris for this technique (and thanks to Toba Garrett too!) :) The cake scraps have another purpose afterall (aside from cake pops).

    ReplyDelete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners