or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Monday, November 15, 2010

Eggnog Frosting

Eggnog Frosting


Hubby loves eggnog.  I'm not a fan, but I sure could eat this frosting all day.  He's been bugging me about cooking something with eggnog ... this definitely hits the spot.

Recipe from "Tasty Cooking Classes with Food City":

Ingredients:
2/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp. flour
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 cup eggnog
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 cup butter, softened
Pretty picture with all my ingredients in bowls just like the pros!

This recipe reminds me of making homemade vanilla ice cream.

Um ... I no longer have a whisk.  It was sacrificed in a different craft experiment.

 This after tempering and adding the egg yolks.

 Let it cool ... it looks thick and goopy.

Beat in butter.

This is definitely not the prettiest frosting I've made.  After beating in the butter, it looked awful, like a bowl of snot.  I was convinced it was too ugly and could only be used for filling.  It was bagged and placed in the fridge for later.  Turns out it was probably just too warm.  Few days later I let the frosting come to room temp and re-whipped it.  Much better!


FTWs:
  • I already had all the ingredients on hand.
  • Melted granulated sugar means no gritty texture, as opposed to American style buttercream that contains powdered sugar.
  • Eggnog was pasteurized, contained no alcohol (typical grocery store brand), and the yolks were cooked ... safe for kiddos.
  • Very creamy results without a lot of butter.
  • High praise from test subjects.
FAILS:
  • This was my second try at this recipe.  Cinnamon does NOT equal nutmeg. 
  • A bit lumpy.  I wouldn't want to try to smooth this around a cake.
  • This batch was a little smaller than I'm used to.  I had to conserve, but managed to ice all 24 cuppies.


Ateco tip #844 swirl on spice cupcakes.

If you're on the fence about this, just try it.  Minimal ingredients, maximum satisfaction.  I brought these puppies to work, and here's what people said:
  • Thanks!  The cupcake is delicious!
  • You taunt me, so. My budget is 1000 calories / day. (ish) *sniff*
  • You are a flavor magician.  That eggnog frosting is delicious
  • I've never even heard of eggnog frosting, but wow was it gooooood! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to try this! Tis the season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This frosting recipe is amazing! I filled thumbprint cookies with it this year to add to my Christmas cookie trays. There is a picture on my blog if you want to check it out. Thanks! emilychef.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners