North Texas Cake and Sugar Art Show
April 30 - May 1, 2011
Cascades Event Center
The Colony, TX
So I decided to take a "me" day and drive up to Dallas for the Sugar Wonders' North Texas Cake Show by myself. I felt like I had missed out on some of the Austin cake show earlier this year because I was stuck volunteering most of the time! I had a great time and got some awesome pictures. The cakes were really impressive. I was hoping to splurge on a bunch of new cake toys, but I didn't really find anything that would be consistently useful for me. Earlene Moore's new lace molds were certainly tempting, though! If I lived nearby I would have put some cash into the raffle drawings, but I could only do a day trip.
- Approximately 164 cake decorating competition entries
- 3 additional cakes on display, but did not appear to be in the competition
- cake decorating competition categories were:
- Buttercream Dream
- Special Occasion / Holiday Cakes
- Sculptured Cakes
- Novelty Tiered
- Wedding Tiered
- Special Techniques NOT on a Cake
- Floral Display
- Artistic Impression (this year’s theme was “Texas”)
- Approximately 7,700 square feet of cake show enjoyment!
- Approximately 10 vendors, including
- Earlene’s Cakes
- Deseret Designs
- Cake Carousel
- LeeAnn’s Cakes & Supplies
- essense cakery
- Cake Connection
- Approximately 35 raffle items plus a huge Cuisinart mixer and an airbrush set from Grex
There were several demonstrations during the day, mostly popular vendors showing how to use their specialty products. Earlene Moore showed us how to use her new silicone molds and how to make shimmery sugar pearls.
This cake was my favorite. She hand-punched thousands of gelatin sequins for this cake! She was kind enough to post a tutorial on how she did it here: http://confessionsofascratchbaker.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-first-tutorialgelatin-sequins.html
Here are my other favorites:
Before I left I nom'd on a champagne cupcake with white chocolate frosting from essence cakery.
Hopefully they'll post the winners soon. I had a great time and will definitely try to attend this show every year from now on!
Here are the rest of my photos. I think I got one of every single cake!