or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Welcome, Baby Lenore!

Welcome, Baby Lenore!
(+5 skill points => 330/400)


FINALLY, I had an excuse to make a World of Warcraft cake.  I know a new baby girl doesn't sound like a good excuse, but it really was!  My co-worker received the latest addition to his family on Tuesday.  His whole household (himself, his wife, son, daughter, and daughter's b/f) used to play WoW together.  What better way to welcome Baby Lenore than with a cake "FOR THE ALLIANCE".  Um ... don't worry if you don't understand any of this ... 

Stats:
  • 8" round Duncan Hines White box cake
  • filled and iced with IMBC
  • used stencil to ice lion
  • shell and reverse shell borders with tip #17
  • script with tip #4
My co-worker's wife loves purple, so I used Wilton's Violet coloring gel to get a nice color for my IMBC.  After filling, crumb coating, and icing the whole cake, I popped it into the freezer to firm up.


I wish I had more time to play with my Cricut.  It's such a cool toy.  I took a jpg I found of the Alliance emblem and doctored it up a bit.  I needed to add some bridges so the stencil wouldn't fall apart or be too intricate in certain places.  Here's the image after a little work in Photoshop:


When I "traced" the image into SCAL (Sure Cuts a Lot, software to manipulate and cut images with a Cricut), I was able to drop the outer border line that wasn't necessary.  My circle cutter easily sliced me a 10" circle from some 20 gauge clear vinyl.  When I popped it into the Cricut, I used blade depth 5 with medium pressure.  It cut beautifully!


I pressed the vinyl on to the cold cake, firmly going over all the edges so there would be no leaks.  Room-temperature IMBC was smeared over.  The cold purple icing helped firm up the cream icing, so I let it sit for a moment.  I didn't want to remove the stencil too soon or the remaining icing might smudge.


After carefully removing the stencil, I only managed to smudge a minor section.  It looked great otherwise!



Baby Lenore couldn't ask for a better guild family to be a part of.
Congratulations, Sky and Mel! 



3 comments:

  1. It turned out great! I love the "Level 1 Human." :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I loved this cake, I'm a fanatic WoW player >:D
    which model of Cricut do you use? I'd like to buy one to cut the stencils and I'll have to import it (since I'm from Brazil).
    Ty :D

    P.s.: ALLIANCE FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I have the Cricut Expression. I wanted that one because it's the largest (can cut up to 12"x12").

    ReplyDelete

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners