or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday, Zoey!

Happy 1st Birthday, Zoey!
(+5 skill points => 325/400)


Last weekend we celebrated my little girl's very first birthday.  What stinks is that my husband and I have both been busy working overtime and didn't have much time to prepare for her party.  I'm sad that I didn't get to go all out for her cake, but it still turned out cute and she eventually dug into her smash cake.
Stats

"Watermelon" Party Cake:
  • 8" round Duncan Hines Red Velvet box cake
  • filled with whipped cream cheese pudding
  • iced with pink and green IMBC
  • dark chocolate chips (as seeds)
"Watermelon Slice" Smash Cake:
  • 6" round Duncan Hines French Vanilla box cake, cut to resemble a slice of watermelon
  • iced with pink and green IMBC
  • dark chocolate chips (as seeds)


I must apologize first.  We were so busy and strapped for time before the party, I didn't have a chance to stop and take pictures of the process.  But here's what I did.
There were so many great "watermelon cakes" on cakecentral.com's gallery.  One in particular had me wondering how she got the red icing in such a clean and precise circle.  I decided to try the frozen buttercream transfer technique.  I traced a 7 1/2" circle on to parchment paper.  My pink icing got piped into that circle to about 1/2" thick.  Using a butter knife I tried to smooch the icing together.  It sat in the freezer while I torted, filled, and crumb coated the cake.  My disc-o-icing was pretty firm by then and I was able to peel the paper off and place it on top of the cake.  You could see the "worms" of icing that I had piped on that didn't get smooched down.  I used some room-temperature icing and glided it along the surface to seal in all those imperfections.  It looked so flat and smooth!  I may just have to do this with my normal cakes!

I had JUST enough icing to do both the party cake and the smash cake.  When it came to sing happy birthday, little Zoey wasn't sure what to do.  I stuck her hand into the cake.  Once she realized it was food, she gradually began to chow down!



Happy Birthday, Zoey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners