or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hang & Sandi's Wedding Cake: Deconstructed

Now that I've been educated on cake decorating, I want to deconstruct any professional cakes I come across.  I can't help but browse the bakery section at the grocery store to evaluate the work there.  Last weekend my husband and I attended the wedding of our friends Hang and Sandi.  This post is, to the best of my ability, a deconstruction of their wedding cake (see the post of their groom's cake here).

NOT MY CAKE


This was a 4 tier wedding cake.  I think it was 8", 10", 12", and 14" square tiers.  Each tier was covered in white fondant and decorated with:
  • doily corners
  • royal icing piping
  • cascade of yellow orchids?
  • gold ribbon
The caterers took the cake after it was officially sliced by the happy couple.  The guests were served at least 2 flavor combinations.  My husband got a slice that was white cake with coffee filling.  My slice was chocolate cake with a vanilla filling.  The cake was moist and delicious.  I think both fillings were an Italian Meringue buttercream because it was silky smooth.  The coffee flavored filling was sweet and strong, pairing well with the subtle flavor of the cake.  The vanilla filling was just the opposite; it had very little flavor and sweetness, allowing the cake to take center stage.  I was bummed that I didn't get to evaluate the fondant closely.  Perhaps caterers remove the fondant or try not to serve cake slices that have fondant on it because of the taste.

I'm going to another wedding in 2 weeks, and am excited about having the opportunity to evaluate another cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners