or

"Hey, I can do that!"


Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday, Kai!

Happy 1st Birthday, Kai!


My co-worker's special little man, Kai, just turned one year old!  This was a fun, stress-free cake.  Kai's mommy requested buttercream, so I only used fondant for the accents.  

Stats:
  • 6" x 5" round white cake
  • 8" x 5" round chocolate cake
  • 6" x 2" round white smash cake
  • filled and iced in American Buttercream
  • fondant accents


Wish I looked this good naked!
 

Kai's mommy Amy has been taking some decorating classes at Make It Sweet.  She requested that I use that shop's cake mix and icing recipe, which made things super easy for me!  The American buttercream was made with high ratio shortening.  It's been a long time since I've iced a cake with American buttercream, so I relied on Sharon Zambito's techniques and busted out the Viva paper towels!  

 

I'm not so good at getting straight buttercream :(  Hopefully no one really noticed.  Here's some wavy fondant accents to draw away attention!

 


The texture for the darker green was from rolling an all-thread rod against the fondant.  The lighter green had texture from the JEM fabric texture roller.  Looks like crepe!  


The plane was cut by hand from gumpaste.  I cut 3 of them, staying on the safe side, which turned out to be a good choice.  My first one broke while drying.  The second I outlined with black royal icing, but didn't like it because I didn't have black anywhere else on the cake.  The gray outline worked better with my colors.


The plane was secured to a wooden skewer with left over royal icing.  The cloud puffs were piped buttercream, gently shaped with a flat paintbrush dusted with powdered sugar.  I never knew you could sculpt buttercream this way, but I figured the sugar would allow me to manipulate the buttercream without it sticking to the bristles.  Worked well!


Royal icing "1" on top of a buttercream "1".  The clouds here are also piped and sculpted buttercream.  At the party some people had never heard of a smash cake.  Wonder if it's a regional thing?  

Happy Birthday, Kai!


1 comment:

As Seen On

As Seen On Capital Confectioners